Sunday 18 January 2009

almost there...

i cannot say with honesty that my trip began with a smooth start. 
as we nearly reached orange county i realized that my wallet was sitting comfortably in a pile of clothes in my room at home. naturally, the retrieval of this item created a time crunch for our arrival to the airport. well done rachel. of all things to forget. 

despite my mistake, i made my flight in time thanks to my oma who stood in the baggage check-in line for me. i felt like those annoying kids at disneyland who cut you off in line. luckily nobody complained of my cutting in. my frazzled state must have been more than apparent in my demeanor. 

saying goodbye was a bit difficult for me. the thought of having four months without them...
as i sat waiting to board the plane, i shed just a few tears. i was more than excited to get to england. it was just an overwhelming feeling- going to an unfamiliar place without familiar faces for such a long period of time. it seemed unfair that all the work my family did in supporting me was only re-paid by my goal being accomplished, my experience shared only through word of mouth. 

***
just to the left of me sat an innocent looking asian girl. to my surprise she was very eager to get some whisky from the flight attendant. the girl knew how to drink. i did not speak much to her, however, i was focused on knocking out 2 hour blocks with cinematic adventures provided by united. i was only interrupted by the woman in front of me who was complaining incessantly. she was hungry (even after the meal service). i handed her a granola bar. my act of kindness for the duration of the flight. she seemed quite thankful. the rest of the flight was quite dull in comparison. sleep.movie.sleep.eat.movie ect.

"its 6:30 AM in london. the temperature is 31 degrees farenheit. thank you for choosing united"

i'm finally here.

No comments:

Post a Comment